Friday 27 May 2011

Friday 27th May 2011

This morning I headed towards where the craft shop should be that Gavin mentioned. Unfortunately none of the locals seemed to know anything about it so I went to the Tourist Information at Mellerud who also didn't seem to know but then finally they realised what it might be and gave me the directions. It ended up being very close to where I had originally asked but a far more beautiful setting. The building itself is not a thing of beauty on the outside, being an old flour mill I think, but inside it is filled with a huge selection of Swedish crafts and gifts. 



It sits at the edge of a lake which has several small islands and later I sat overlooking this lake with my coffee and warm cinnamon bun. It was incredibly peaceful with the only movement being the swallows occasionally flying by. Not even the slight drizzle could upset the scene, in fact it seemed to enhance it. I think I could happily have sat there for hours (as long as there was regular coffee and cinnamon buns) but my time was limited so I drove to the town of Åmål about 25 miles away. The road was a bit more of a test to the campervan as it was fairly narrow and twisted and turned through beautiful birch forests, never on the level and in fact there were signs that it would be gradients of 1 in 5 both up and down at times. Although on the sharpest bends with the steepest slopes I did have to drop down to second gear a couple of times, the van didn't feel as though it was ever going to give up. The scenery was fabulous with openings in the forest showing stunning views across lakes. Thank you Gavin for suggesting the area.

No comments: