Thursday 19 May 2011

Thursday 19th May, still near Amsterdam

The first night in the van was fine, slept as well as I ever do and wasn't disturbed by noise at all.


Off to the city again and again a long walk however Fluffy needed his breakfast first.

That's the Central Station in the background. I need to refer to the map to remind me where we got to. We headed east towards the Botanic Gardens but I didn't go in as I didn't think I would have time to do the entrance fee justice. I would like to one day with Sarah and it might be that RHS members get a discount! Walking on Fluffy found some new friends at the zoo.

On to Oosterpark which was beautiful and there was a dramatic sculpture in one corner.


No description but to me it seemed to be about people who were chained/put down getting their freedom. I've just done a quick Google and it is indeed to commemorate the abolition of slavery in the Netherlands, a very powerful piece. From Oosterpark in the southeast I walked to the southwest and Vondelpark, the most popular park in the Netherlands it seems. Once again, wonderful walks with plants and ponds. There was a lovely bandstand on its own island.


At the time it seemed that the geese had it all to themselves.


After wandering through a very good fresh produce market I made my way to De Looier Antique Market which is a network of rooms however I have to say I was a little disappointed, the prices were ludicrously high and nothing really caught my eye, I preferred the flea market. I next went to the floating flower market which was fascinating and I will be making a quick visit back there tomorrow as well as the flea market before heading away from Amsterdam and on with the trip.





2 comments:

Sarah said...

Lovely pictures, Paul and I enjoyed reading your blog. I look forward to visiting the Botanic Gardens with you. xxxxx

Lisa said...

Really enjoying the blog too :)
Why do the flamingoes have a mirror? And did you get any funny looks photographing Fluffy eating breakfast? All looks wonderful xxx